- Banloc Castle, Banloc, Timis county. Known as the “Castle of the Karátsonyi Family”, it is 50 km away from Timisoara. It was built on old foundations in 1793 by count Lázár Karátsonyi.
- Huniads’ Castle or Corvins’ Caslte, Hunedoara http://www.castelulcorvinilor.ro/ (website translated into English) It’s a historic monument and the oldest building of Hunedoara, built between 1443-1447 by Iancu de Hunedoara, on the ruins of an old castle of the 14th century (built during the reign of King Charles Robert of Anjou). Today it accommodates the Banat Museum. In time, the various owners of the castle changed its aspect, adding towers, halls and honor rooms to it. In the castle yard, next to the chapel also built in the days of Iancu de Hunedoara, there is a 30m deep fountain. According to the legends, this fountain was dug by three Turk prisoners who were promised freedom if they reached the water layer. At this time, the Castle is undergoing an extensive rehabilitation process.
- “Iulia Hasdeu” Castle, Campina. Built between 1893 and 1896 by the historian and philologist Bogdan Petriceicu Hasdeu in the Campina municipality, the Castle was built in memory of his daughter, Iulia Hasdeu. The building has undergone many reconditioning and consolidation processes. The visitors of the museum can admire the portraits of the Hasdeu family members, objects, photographs and original documents of the Hasdeu family, the furniture older than a century, manuscripts and collections of the magazines managed by the great philologist, valuable paintings signed by famous painters such as Sava Hentia, Nicolae Grigorescu, G.D. Mirea or Diogene Maillart. The Castle is the place where Bogdan Petriceicu Hasdeu fully dedicated himself to the spiritualist experiments, hoping that he would be able to meet his daughter again. That is why the Castle is full of symbols and surrounded by countless legends.
- Peles Castle, Sinaia. Built between 1873 and 1883, the Peles Castle, now the Peles National Museum, is considered one of the most beautiful castles of Romania and Europe. The Peles Castle was built by King Charles I of Romania (1866-1914), with the support of the architects Johannes Schultz and Karel Liman. On its inauguration date, in 1883, the Castle was a wonder of technology, being endowed with electricity, central heating and elevator. It was the first electrified royal residence of Europe. The Castle still preserves, slightly modified, the king’s cabinet and his Library. The Royal Library is connected, by means of a secret door, to other rooms of the Castle, which was thought as a loophole for the King in case the Castle was attacked.The interiors of the Peles Castle were made by the Viennese Bernhard Ludwig, who took care that every corner of the castle, although unique, mean something. For example, the honor hallway at the entrance, where King’s guests were welcomed, was decorated like te “Fredenhagen” room of the Commerce Palace of Lubeck, Germany. The walnut wood, the sculpted paneling, the bas-relief with mythological motifs, the stained glass, the grandiose candelabra, all are part of the “arsenal” used by the Viennese Bernhard Ludwig to obtain a grandiose interior, of perfect good taste, inspired from the interiors of the German castles. Each hall of the Peles Castle was arranged in a certain style, having a suggestive name: Moor Hall, Columns Hall, Florentine Saloon, Concert Hall or Weapons Hall, the last of which shelters a collection of more than 4,000 weapons. On the 1st floor of the Castle there is the apartment of King Franz Josef, the apartment of the Prime-Minister, the Concert Hall and the Rooms for the King’s guests. Because of the fragility of the castle, the 1st floor was open only in 2007 for visitation and only for a short period of time. The Peles Castle is the place where important foreign policy decisions were taken, such as the signing of the alliance treaty between the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Romania. Once King Charles I was dead, in 1914, the Peles Castle was inherited by King Ferdinand. However, this latter, together with Queen Mary, lived at the nearby Little Peles Castle (Pelisor). Charles II and Michael I lived at the Gazebo, on the same royal domain of Sinaia. Between 1975 and 1989, during the communist dictatorship of Nicolae Ceausescu, the Peles Castle was closed for reconditioning. The wood inside the Castle had been attached by a fungus, because of the moisture and lack of aeration of the rooms. Besides the fact that the presence of this dangerous fungus determined the reconditioning of the Castle and the replacement of the wood beams, the situation also had a good side: the Castle was never transformed into the residence of the Ceausescu spouses. Currently, from the more than 160 rooms of the Castle, only 10 are open for visitation, the tour of the accessible areas lasting 45 minutes and only in the company of a guide. The price of one ticket is 12 new Lei for adults and 5 new Lei for children. Who wants to shoot the interiors of the Peles Castle must pay 50 new Lei, and who wants to make photos must pay 30 new Lei.
- Little Peles (Pelisor), Sinaia The royal domain of Sinaia, where the Peles Castle is, also contains a smaller copy of it, the Little Peles Castle. This used to be the residence of the royal couple Ferdinand (nephew of King Charles I) and Mary. The Little Peles Castle can be visited, one ticket for adults costing 9 new Lei and a ticket for children 3 new Lei. The Royal Domain of Sinaia was returned to King Michael.
- Bran Castle, Brasov county. One of the most valuable historical and medieval architecture monuments of Romania, the Bran Castle is known by tourists all over the world as “Dracula’s Castle”. The fortress, located in the Bran-Rucar Pass, 30 km away from Brasov, was built between 1377 and 1382. In recognition of the contribution brought to the achievement of the Great Union of the 1st of December 1918, the Brasovans gabe the Bran castle to the royal family so that Queen Mary may live there. She left it, in her will, to her daughter, Princess Ileana. In 1948, the Castle was confiscated by the communists. Having the aspect of a fortress, up on a cliff, austerely arranged on the inside, the Bran Castle shelters objects and furniture from the days it belonged to Queen Mary. The legend of “Count Dracula”, presented in Bram Stoker’s book, as well as the austere and mysterious appearance of the building contribute to the celebrity of the Castle. As interpreted today, “Dracula” is associated to the voivode of Tara Romaneasca, Vlad the Impaler. As a matter of fact, the ruler Vlad the Impaler only staid for 3 days at the Bran Castle, in 1459, when he came to Brasov to solve some commercial disputes with the German merchants. Vlad the Impaler solved the discussions by impaling the merchants who resisted his orders. After this episode, Vlad the Impaler was described as a sadistic ruler in the “Wallachian Stories”. That is why, the Bran Castle was the place where the famous movie “Interview with a Vampire” was shot. The Bran Castle currently accommodates the Bran Museum, which spreads over the 4 floors of the building. In the little yard of the Castle there is a fountain in which, according to the tradition, if you throw a penny and make a wish, this wish will come true. To visit the Bran Castle Museum, you must pay a ticket of 12 new Lei or adults and 6 new Lei for children and students. For children under 5 years of age, the entrance is free, and if you want to shoot and make photos you must pay 10 new Lei.
- Bánffy Castle of Bontida, Cluj county. Often called the “Versailles of Transylvania", the Castle was built in1437, when the Banffy baron received from King Albert the permission to build a fortress. The construction was finished in 1543. Rebuilt and reconsolidated in time by the inheritors of baron Banffy, the Castle currently preserves the Renaissance and baroque styles. During the communist period, the Castle was nationalized. After the fall of the Ceausescu system in December 1989, being in an advanced degradation state, the Castle was reconditioned. The reconditioning works were made under the high patronage of Prince Charles of Wales, who visited the building site several times. Those who visit the Castle will be able to admire the ceiling panels, sculpted in the German Renaissance style as well as the wood buffet in the reception saloon.