|On the list of the World Patrimony of UNESCO there are wood churches in the Maramures area, considered historic monuments. They are a set of remarkable examples of various architectural solutions from various periods and areas. The eight churches are narrow and tall, with slender and long steeples at the western end of buildings, with walls made of horizontally arranged oak logs.
- Wood church of Budesti Josani: built in 1643, dedicated to "St. Nicholas". It is famous for the objects that belonged to the two fighters for freedom: the courier coat of Pintea the Brave and the flag of Ferenc II Rákóczi, a Transylvanian prince. Also, the church is renowned for its icons painted on wood or glass in the 16th-17th centuries.
- Wood church of Deseşti: built in 1770, dedicated to "St. Paraschiva". In the church there is a unique collection of wood icons from the 17th century and of glass icons from the 19th century.
- Barsana Monastery: built in 1720, dedicated to the "Entrance of Virgin Mary to the Church”. It is very darksome, with very small windows, with a high dome, but which does not allow light to enter very much. It was made of large oak beams on a foundation made of massive stone blocks.
- Wood church of Poienile Izei: it was built in 1604 and is dedicated to "St. Paraschiva". It is famous for its mural painting in the popular style dating back to 1794.
- Wood church of Ieud Deal or the Church on the Hill: built in 1364, it is dedicated to the "Birth of Virgin Mary".
- Wood church of Plopis: built in 1796, it is dedicated to the "Saint Archangels". It distinguishes by its very high bell tower.
- Wood church of Rogoz: built in 1663, it is dedicated to the "Saint Archangels". The church was set ablaze by the Tartars and rebuilt in 1717. It distinguishes by the beauty of its silhouette and of the mural paintings achieved by several masters at the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century.